May Town Meeting Notes
Our first town meeting was really great! The highlight (for my kids, at least) was the cake from Sweet Bobbi's. It was an honor to be sworn in as your new Council Member and I look forward to working with each of you going forward. In order to facilitate communication I have created a virtual comment box, unless you would like a response from me, all comments are confidential. Please feel free to fill it out here
After the swearing in and cake break we all had the opportunity to recognize the great work of our police force, the first presentation was to recognize a few officers and Mayor Mike for their quick work when a local child had a medical crisis in January. Additionally, the entire force received a citation for their great work at reducing the crime rate in Cheverly.
- The Recreation Council has a $500 scholarship to a Cheverly resident who is enrolled full time in an academic or vocational program in the 2016-2017 academic year. For applications call Judy DeLeonibus at 301-386-4251.
- The Green Infrastructure Committee is hosting their annual photo contest this year's theme is Cheverly Streams, all photos are due to the Community Center by 5pm on May 17 and need to printed out to 8x10.
- The proposed road diet that I mentioned in my last newsletter was put off and instead SHA will just move forward with repaving the street and keep the number of lanes the same.
- A question about the Wayne Place playground. There are no updates scheduled for this year since Corvias is scheduled to redo the stormwater management on the path just beyond the playgound.
- As many of you probably have noticed, the demolition of the building on 6301 is in process. It should be done shortly and the fence will be removed once the debris is removed and the land is cleared for access.
- There are two nearby properties in the processed of being developed. The first is the Smithfield property and it will likely be a distribution point for local groceries etc. The second is the Craftsman property that may turn into a location for a few different businesses (they are looking into food related businesses too!) Stay tuned for more information!
- Finally, the May Worksession is on Thursday, May 25 at 8pm. I will send out the agenda when it is released.
Saving the best for last, Cheverly Day (May 20) begins at 10 am with a parade! The preliminary schedule is below:
- We have a great line-up
- Parade Route is Cheverly Ave from Kilmer to Forest
- East West Softball
- 3 on 3 Basketball (form attached)
- Midway Opens
- Bubble Soccer Begins
- Vendor Tables Open
- Mini Golf
- Beer Garden
- Corn Hole
- Food Service Begins
- Music Stage Opens
- Midway & Many items Cclose
- Beer Garden / Food Service / Music Continue
- General Announcements
- Bay's Ice Cream
- Good Times Catering
- Funnel Cake Lady