Skip to main content

July Work Session

We had an incredibly long and productive meeting this evening.  I will be at the farmers market on Saturday at the Community Market table from 8-10 if you would like to talk to me about any of these issues, specifically the feral cat conversation, climate proclamation and trust town designation.  My notes are short because I want to be able to use these to start a conversation so please come find me at the market and/or email me at bethpmackenzie@gmail.com if you'd like to talk about anything you read here.


1. Gladys Noon Spellman Grant
Lowri DeJager came to ask for  a $2,000 grant to help cover the cost for ipad charging stations.  The school is incorporating technology in the classrooms.  The total cost for the two stations they need is $5,200.  They have gotten funds from the PTA budget and other donations. GNS is facing a budget shortfall because this year's budget does not include the refugee and other families that enrolled mid year last year.

2. Dog Park Discussion
        
The Mayor has asked members of the Dog Park Committee to attend and discuss the proposed Dog Park.  The Town has contracted with Precision Surveying to prepare a site plan to be submitted to SHA as a condition for the use of their property behind the Public Works facility for the Dog Park.  The Dog Park Committee gave a great presentation about their plans for the dog park.  The council voted unanimously for the budget adjustment to account for the $50,000 previously authorized for construction.  

5. Feral Cats
The attendees at the meeting had a very spirited discussion about the issues that the town is facing with feral cats.  We are looking into ways to help increase the use of TNR and promote best practices with the individuals taking care of the feral cats.  We are still information gathering and will be bringing Animal Control and others to the work session next month to give us more information.  In the meantime we would like to continue the conversation to see if a community based approach, similar to the dog park committee could come together to support working on this.

1. Police Department Presentation
Chief Robshaw will discuss issues and topics (see attached) regarding the Cheverly Police Department. He reiterated that the police department are working on a community policing strategy that includes street meets around town to meet residents where they are.  [SHAMELESS PLUG:  We are combining the August Street Meet with an Ice Cream Social in Cheverly Station on August 19th.]

Council Member Ivey suggested that maybe the officers can also go to where the people are at community markets or boys & girls club activities.  

Mayor Callahan offered to make sure the Department gets up to date schedules for town activities.

-Theft from auto remains the #1 crime in town.  It would be greatly reduced if all of us lived by the LEWD principle (lock every window and door).
-shoplifting (from the stores on Rt. 202) is increasing but that may also be because there is now more security info out there.
-the number of assaults are coming up but are 95% done by known assailants
-the number of robberies are going down.

The police department took deescalation training recently and will pair it with a 3 day training.  They also are getting certified as train the trainer for bias training.

3. Discussion Climate Proclamation
Councilmember Riazi and I worked on language for a proclamation that acknowledges the work we have done as a town and in the community to promote green earth activities as well as saying that we'd like to do so going forward as well.  Please email me if you'd like to see the draft language.


4. Discussion – Trust Town Designation
CM Ivey has proposed legislation whereas the Town Council will establish Cheverly as a Sanctuary Town and establish that the Town of Cheverly does not intervene in federal immigration matters.  We will be bringing the town attorney to the next work session.  Please let me know if you'd like to see the draft language.  



6. Proposed Conditions - Ernest Maier Concrete Batching Plant
Decision Required: Whether to adopt.


This item was on last month’s Special Meeting and involves the proposed plant off Kenilworth Avenue in Bladensburg.  The Cheverly Planning Board will provide recommendations.  We agreed to write a letter with conditions regarding tracking and limiting the routes trucks can go, bringing the whole property up to current storm water regulations, making the plant completely enclosed, and conducting regular independent air quality surveys.  There is a zoning board meeting on August 2nd.


7. Discussion O-3-17 Amending Section 18 – Lot Maintenance
Decision Required: Whether to introduce.


The Staff has found a section of the Town Code that is in need of modification from allowing inoperative vehicles from 30 days to 15 days.


8. Position Description
This conversation about what the job will be is moved to next month.


9. Council Retreat
Council Member Stewart suggested that the council have a retreat.  More discussion on location (somewhere inside Prince George's County) and time will be forthcoming.


10. Land Acquisition & Department Head Evaluations                      *
This portion of the meeting was closed under State Law

*please note that these notes are my personal reflections on an open council meeting and do not reflect official records*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bladensburg Concrete Batching Plant

The Mayor and Town Council held a special meeting, Monday, June 19 at 7:30 pm to learn more about the application for a special exception for a concrete batching plant being developed on the current concrete block plant owned and operated by Ernest Maier.  Presenting were, Brendan Quinn, owner of Ernest Maier, Debbie Scanlon the Town Administrator for the city of Bladensburg, and Chris Melendez, the Vice President for the Port Town Community Development Corporation.  (Please note that all comments herein are written down to the best of my memory and I apologize for any errors or incomplete information)

The meeting was scheduled in order to decide whether or not the Town of Cheverly should send a letter to  Parks & Planning prior to the scheduled June 23 hearing.  However, the impression is that the meeting may be cancelled and the issue sent directly onto the Zoning Board.

Brendan Quin presented his proposal that his company which currently owns 16 acres of land around Bladensburg…

August Newsletter

Hello all!  I hope you don't mind that I saved the town meeting updates until after the work session. Below are some of the updates.

1.  A Coffee Shop for Cheverly? As many of you know there is a 175,000 square foot building behind the Cheverly Pool that has recently been sold to a development company that is looking to turn it into a maker & market space with community spaces to meet, shop and work on our own businesses.  If you would like to learn more email me at bethpmackenzie@gmail.com Please stay tuned here and on my facebook page for future events (food truck night!) at this location as well!

2. Curbside Composting In order to get town wide curbside composting, we need 100 families to sign up.  So far we have fewer than 25.  So, if you are interested please fill out this form and you can email it to me or deliver it directly to Public Works.  No need to pay for the bin until we've collected all 100 families!

3.  Trust Town Designation.  Council Member Ivey has introduc…

July Town Meeting

Happy July!  I am so excited to announce that we will be having an Ice Cream Social at Cheverly Station Apartments on August 19 from 1-3 pm.  We invite all Cheverly residents and community groups to come, especially those of us in the 5th & 6th Wards! More information to come!

We had a short Town Meeting last week, but much of it is teeing us up for an extremely busy work session on July 27.

The meeting started promptly at 8pm

Town Administrator Update

The paving of Lake Ave is happening next week (the week of July 16).The town is ordering cameras for the hazardous waste collection unit.  It is important that all residents understand that paint can not be deposited here.  If you have good paint left please bring to community fork lift.  If it is latex, dry it out to replace.  All oil based paint needs to be taken to Brown Station.  Cheverly cannot collect this and transport because we do not have a hazardous waste transport permit.  David Warrington will look into if there are thir…